California Servin'

January 27, 2014


Hello fellow owners of opposable thumbs,


Once again, work has happened. Meeting with investigators, meeting with less-active members, and meeting with members. All is well in Redlands. A few events that have happened in this past week:

-We were walking down the street, when a random lady and her son wave us over to cross the street. Confused, we backtrack to the cross walk, and walk all the way up there to see what's up. She tells us how her son had died just 10 days ago, and they were trying to raise money, by doing car washes and stuff, to bury him. She asked if our church could help with that. I then proceeded to talk a little bit about the Plan of Salvation, and that we would check to see if we could help, but we would love to come over and teach her and her other son about life after death, which she said she would love. We talked to Bishop, then talked to her, and convinced her to come to church. So she did! She and her son stayed the whole three hours before they got some food help from the ward. As much as I would like to teach her, not only is she not in my area, but she is on the wrong side of the street! Pretty much one house away from our ward boundaries. So we will work that out. Still, the gospel is the gospel, no matter who teaches it.

-We sprinted about 70 yards in dress clothes and a satchel from one appointment to another because we were late. It was fun, though. Our mission president was there, at Bobby's to interview him. So he did, and he passed! All is a go for his baptism this Saturday. The only thing he has to do is choose who he wants to baptize him. I get to say the opening prayer. :) It's been a lot of fun teaching Bobby. I'm not sure what we did, but some how the Spirit was able to enter into him and tell him that he knew it all along, he just needed to act on it. I don't know if he would have gotten baptized if it was any other missionaries, but I figure we are in places for a reason, so our companionship will take some credit. :) Either way, we are super excited. It will probably be the biggest baptism service in history, since the whole ward has been waiting for it, all of Kristi's family has been waiting for it, and I am sure Bobby's extended family has been waiting for it too. So now they will all come together in one place. It's going to be packed. Good thing we reserved the entire stake center. 

-Saw a girl practicing basketball. We walked by her without talking to her, plus I was on the phone. We both felt like we should have talked to her, especially because she kept looking over at us from across the street while we were talking to someone else ( I can't blame her). After walking down the street and turning the corner, talking to a member here and there, we decided to walk back the way we came, and if she was still outside, we would talk to her. I asked if she was on a team (I figured college or at least high school). She was, though it turns out she is 14, which she does not look like at all. Either way, she was very interested in our message, and after we left we saw her cracking open the Book of Mormon we gave her right away. We are hoping her parents will join in too, and not be against her from learning, which she says they most likely won't. Fingers crossed. 
-We had five investigators and a some less-actives at church! It was great to see them there! I think that's the most investigators I have had come to church before on my mission. We could have had more if they weren't out of town, or woke up in time (darn it, 9:00 AM church). Either way, it was a great Sunday. If all goes well, we should have a few more baptisms in February. 

Well, fellow followers, I am about to hit my YEAR MARK in a few days, on January 30th. Today, though, I only have one year left. Yep. I am being robbed of three days on my mission. Started Jan. 30th, 2013, coming home Jan. 27th, 2015. Strange to think I only have a year left. What am I saying, "only" a year? That's a good chunk of time! WOOHOO!

I love you all, thanks for the prayers and loves. By the way, my birthday is Feb. 9th, so if you want to send me birthday wishes through the mail, please do so. I think it would be awesome to get like 100 letters in one day. :)



E. Summerhays

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket