April Foolin' and more

April 7, 2013

Hello People-Who-Can-Access-The-Internet-Whenever-They-Want,

How lucky (or unlucky) can we as missionaries get to have April Fool's day land on a P-Day? The best prank that we pulled was at our dinner appointment. He (Brother S ) picked us up from our apartment, and I suggested that we can't just pass up the opportunity to prank his family.  So he came up with a good idea.  His daughter was the last one to drive the car, and it was near empty.  So he parked a couple blocks away from his house, and we ran the rest of the way. Knocked on his house, and told his family that the car had ran out of gas, and that we need to push it the rest of the way. I winked at the mom to let her know, and even told the younger daughter, who is about 14, that it was a prank, as she suspected it.  So the mom, two daughters, and 11 year old son walk all the way down with us.  Me and Elder Hayden opened the doors on either side of the car, as did Bro and Sis S, to "push" it.  The kids started pushing on the trunk.  Then we all hopped in the car, and drove off, leaving the kids to walk back home.  'Twas funny. Aside from that, the pranks were a little low key.  We tried putting hot sauce on the toilet paper, and putting BioFreeze muscle relaxer on the toilet, but it didn't work.  One elder got a good handful of people to believe that he was going home because he busted his ankle, and all through the phone too.  We helped make it sound real.  It was fun.

The next day we helped a stake in Temecula (not even in our mission) who had traveled up to Yucaipa to have their Pioneer Trek.  There were about 280 people participating.  We helped unload and organize bags, buckets, and Dutch ovens for five hours. I was not expecting that, and for some reason I did not put on any sunscreen.  I got the gnarliest sun burn line. I am developing a nice tan, though, from being in the sun everyday in moderation.  So that's a plus, but it hurt for a while.  I'm all good now, and have learned my lesson.  That day we did not get a chance to do any studies, which I felt the effects of after. When we were contacting and teaching people, I just didn't feel right.  After I realized that I hadn't studied, I decided to study while eating dinner (someone kindly brought us dinner that night).  The rest of the night went great.  It really does help to read the scriptures everyday. Make sure you do it!!!

I managed to finally do 51 pushups!!! WOOHOO!!   I did learn today that I wasn't doing them with the best form should have been doing, and was not able to do as many.  But I did 51 ARMS AT A 90 DEGREE ANGLE PUSHUPS WITHOUT STOPPING.  I'MMA BEAST!  Goal is at least 100 by the end of the year.   I'll get there.

I have realized, after meeting so many people, that I have grown up really blessed.  I appreciate how my ward back home is so close and like family.  I hope the members here will also fellowship the investigators and show them how great it is have this church in their life.   I have also grown-up strong in the gospel.   I have met many people that are not going to church just because of a misunderstanding or because of something that happened like 15 years ago. It is almost frustrating, but all in their own time.  I am glad to have grown up in a household and environment that I did, and have been greatly blessed by it. 

General Conference was great as always. When Elder Uchtdorf said "Our first speaker will be from Elder Jefferey R. Holland" everyone let out a little cheer.   I enjoyed it and I really hope that members were watching and paying attention, because his message Sunday afternoon was fairly missionary-work centered, which was great. 

I am doing great out here. We have a new Zone goal to find at least two new investigators a week per missionary companionship.  It will be hard this week, just because.

OH. New joke that I heard. A little boy goes to the doctor's. A man in the waiting room asks him "Why are you here?" The boy answers "I have come to get circumcised." The man replies "Oh, you don't want to do that. I got circumcised when I was born, and I could not walk for a whole year!"

I learn a lot on the mission.  Scripture of the week.  

Doctrine & Covenants  88: 123-126
123 See that ye love one another; cease to be covetous;learn to impart one to another as the gospel requires.
124 Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; 
cease to find fault one with another; 
cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, 
that ye may not be weary; arise early,
that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated. 
125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity,
 as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace. 
126 Pray always, that ye may not faint, until I come.
Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen.

Love you all,
Elder Summerhays

Didn't take many pictures this week, but thought I would share this with you even thought it is not the best.  We are at an Easter celebration at a members home eating some great guacamole. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket